Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
IBA UK
 Iron Butt.org General Discussion : IBA UK
Subject Topic: My Successful SS1000 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Kevfromdev
IBA Member
IBA Member

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 11 September 2008 at 2:06pm | IP Logged Quote Kevfromdev

Hi All, I recently recieved the news that my SS1000 had been successfully verified so thought I might introduce myself to everyone/anyone who will listen.

I did my ride from Plymouth, Devon via Southampton, Dartford, Newcastle upon Tyne, Edinburgh, Perth, Carlisle, and finally Ripley nr Derby enroute to the Horizons Unlimited travellers meet in July. I had been a regular on this and the IBA website for a while and was positive I could do it and enjoy it. In the end I just decided to go for it with about 10 days planning. After seeking some (much appreciated) advice from the BossH and spending some time placating the boss at home (I've only been riding 25 years so she worries!) my route was sorted and my bike, an 06 varadero was sorted. I got all my camping gear for the weekend together and packed before sorting the stuff I would need/use for my ride.

I think my biggest worry was the paperwork I dont remember being concerned about tiredness, speed, distance, or anything but I was bloody paranoid about reciepts and logs and times etc. probably reading many reports and books about losing that type of stuff playing on my mind. Anyway it worked I ended up with a folder containing several rain forests worth of paper and actually had to weed some of it out in case the poor verifiers got bored reading it!

I loved the long, long overnight run up the A1 with the ipod on 'shuffle' amazing myself at how throttle control is seemingly directly linked to type of music. Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Lynrd Skynrd = strewth this isnt going to take long but Abba, Beatles, Johnny Cash = S**t is that the time already.

I wasnt happy with but became very grateful to the small deer that matched exactly the colour of the hard shoulder on the A8 which could have brought the whole thing to a very unhappy ending if it hadnt decided to leap away from the road instead of into it.

I apologised to the lady who woke me up while having an 'Iron Butt Motel' catnap for 2 hours at Carlisle services. Maybe I did look a bit dishevelled but I was comfy and sleeping soundly till she asked me if I was OK "I WAS but now I'm awake" I growled at her, then thanked her for the concern and promptly bored her to death with the details of my ride.

When I arrived at the campsite in Ripley with an end of ride time reciept obtained from the local shop with 8 cans of cider (in case I couldnt sleep!!) the tent was up in no time and I carefully and lovingly checked on all my paperwork again before meeting up with some mates who had ridden up that day and tell them all about it. What I dont get is why everyone doesnt want to do it. I loved every minute of the ride (ok maybe not the deer bit at the time) and cant wait to do another one, when I recieved my email telling me my ride was a successful one it was easily the best moment/news/email of the year and right up there with my best biking moments.

The bike ran like a dream as always. It must be one of the most underated bikes on the market, I have several addons fitted like a bigger screen, engine bars, scottoiler and luggage, also use an autocom for music and gps. It will easily do 200 miles between fuel stops (most I have had is 267 from a tank but I was panicking) and you can load it up like a pack horse and not even notice it.

I only have 2 regrets. The first is that I didnt start endurance riding years ago and the second is that I didnt take any pictures on my ride.

Next one is the BB1500 incorporating an E2E and I havent completely given up hope of doing it this year yet, If only I didnt have to work to pay all those bills!! 

Back to Top View Kevfromdev's Profile Search for other posts by Kevfromdev

Iron Butt Baz
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 4:06pm | IP Logged Quote Iron Butt Baz

Hi Kev

Well done and welcome to the Club

Great report 

Catch up with you soon

Barry

IBA #34877
England
Modified Harley-Davidson Road king
UK Mile - Eater #6
BBR Finisher 08,09 & 10
BBgold x lots SS1500 x 1 SS2000 x 1 E2Egold x 1 SS1000 x Lots... HD Mileage award winner 2010
Back to Top View Iron Butt Baz's Profile Search for other posts by Iron Butt Baz Visit Iron Butt Baz's Homepage

M a u r a
IBR Premier Member
IBR Premier Member

Posted: 11 September 2008 at 6:40pm | IP Logged Quote M a u r a

Excellent ride, excellent ride report!

What hath night to do with sleep? John Milton
Back to Top View M a u r a's Profile Search for other posts by M a u r a

GarminDave
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 12:35am | IP Logged Quote GarminDave

Congratulations on a successful ride and welcome to insanity Kev.

Later

Dave

David E.Badcock #18643
IBA UK Merchandise
eMail: DavidEBadcock@aol.com
Internet: www.davidbadcock.co.uk
Twitter: @GarminDave
Back to Top View GarminDave's Profile Search for other posts by GarminDave Visit GarminDave's Homepage

Banjo
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 1:00am | IP Logged Quote Banjo

Well done Kev, now sit down and wait patiently for the official paperwork from the States, i've been told it's well worth the wait.

Cue comment from Roger

Seriously though, no doubt you, like me and others, are chuffed to bits at your own personal acheivement and will have a great tale to tell for years to come.

IBA No 40001 (First UK Issue) SS1000, BBR09, UK Mile Eater
90 Degrees Between The Knees
Back to Top View Banjo's Profile Search for other posts by Banjo

Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 12 September 2008 at 8:15am | IP Logged Quote Guests

Well done Kev - the first of many I hope - sign up for the Iron Butt to prove the madness has really taken hold!
Back to Top View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

James691
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 12 September 2008 at 6:28pm | IP Logged Quote James691

Well done! Excellent report there and I have just had my XL1000VA delivered and looking to do the E2E when the tax gets here.

Glad to hear good reports on the bike! I will have to think on and take a camera with me as well as a wallet for all the paperwork

Back to Top View James691's Profile Search for other posts by James691 Visit James691's Homepage

bosshog
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 15 September 2008 at 8:40am | IP Logged Quote bosshog

M a u r a wrote:

Welcome the the Uk side of te Forum Maura, thanks for the comments

Roger

bosshog
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 15 September 2008 at 8:42am | IP Logged Quote bosshog

Good stuff Kev, well done

Loking forward to seeing your contributions here on the forum and meeting with you son

Cheers 

M a u r a
IBR Premier Member
IBR Premier Member

Posted: 17 September 2008 at 12:03am | IP Logged Quote M a u r a

bosshog wrote:

M a u r a wrote:

Welcome the the Uk side of te Forum Maura, thanks for the comments

Roger

Thanks Roger! To chart the progress of you lot in unknown (to me) lands is like following the earliest explorers

I have great admiration, IBA rides are a real challenge outside the USA.

If I ever win the lottery, I will be over there in a flash to try an IBA ride!

What hath night to do with sleep? John Milton
Back to Top View M a u r a's Profile Search for other posts by M a u r a

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version