Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
IBA UK
 Iron Butt.org General Discussion : IBA UK
Subject Topic: Newbie SS1000 attempt Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
peversFJR
IBA Member
IBA Member

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 2:43pm | IP Logged Quote peversFJR

Greetings!

I have been lurking for a few months but now having had my first try at a SS1000 I thought I would register and post a ride report.

The plan was to ride from Benfleet in Essex to Vienna in Austria via the ferry from Dover to Dunkirk, Burge, Antwerp, Eindhoven, Dortmund, Kassel, Ulm, Munich, and Linz. The timings looked a little odd but I was working around meeting up with some friends in Vienna so I planned to leave home at 2130 Easter Monday and arrive in Vienna before 2230 local time on Tuesday. Time for a sleep on the ferry and a couple of roadside naps along the way should leave me enough time.

Home to the ferry was uneventful if a little foggy. The only other bike on the ferry was a Slovenian guy on a R6 - jeans, a hoodie and no gloves! Crazy or tough? Didn't have time to find out as I needed to get as much kip as possible.

Off the ferry at just after 0300 local time. More fog on the other side of the channel which stayed until i crossed a bit of Holland and into Germany. Also here the first unplanned detour happened as the road from Venlo to Dortmund was closed - lots of cops so I assume a serious accident. The detour took me through Wuppertal and then back on track to Kassel with only a slight delay to my schedule.

My schedule planned that I would make up time once on the German autobahns and the plan was working until I turned east at Ulm towards Munich and met mile after mile of roadworks and the evening rush hour. I didn't help myself by having a longer kip than planned but the reststop bench was so comfortable! I also seriously underestimated how much further there was to go from Munich.

From Munich my route took me north-east on the A59 to meet up with the A3 going south-east to the Austrian border. I had planned to take the more directly east B12 but got a little lost on the Munich ring road.

After crossing the border and paying for my 10 day vingette (4.40 euro) I was looking forward to a continuation of the fantastic autobahns but the Austrian roads were as bad as ours with roadworks for about the first 30 miles. At least they seem to spending the road tolls on improving the roads!

An hour into Austria I started to pick up the pace and when I stopped for petrol at Alland - just west of Vienna - I saw that my odo showed 1072 miles and the satnav showed 1042 miles. I decided to end the ride there at 2115 local time rather than continue on to Vienna which would have pushed me right up to the 24 hour limit. Alland is a quiet place but luckily the guy at the petrol station was willing to sign my end witness form. So with quite some sense of achievement I checked and rechecked my paperwork, receipts and maps before setting off to complete the ride to Vienna. Perhaps it was a mistake as I really had to give myself a shake to keep focused on the ride after finishing at Alland. A steady and slow ride into the city got me to my hotel without incidence and confirmed that I was right to stop at Alland as it was still a fair way into the city.

A few aches but a good night's sleep sorted those but I turned up to meet my friends the next morning with very bloodshot eyes. They thought I had been on the hit and miss all night! They thought I was even sillier once I told them what I had actually been doing.

I have only had the FJR since January and was already pleased with it. Now I am seriously impressed with the machine. All that time on the bike really gave me a chance to get to know how to get along with it. The bike is standard except for a home made butt pad and beadrider that I interchange at stops to help stave off numb bum. I also found out how best to place and move my left leg to keep my dodgy knee from swelling.

After a couple of days in Vienna I came home via the Black Forest. I did give some thought to pitching up in Calais on Friday for a ride to Monte Carlo but decided to come home on Saturday. As the guys found out it was a wet day in France. I'm registered for the poppy appeal SS1000 ride in June so I hope to meet some of you there.

So, fingers crossed that my paperwork is in order when I send it off tomorrow.

Addicitive, isn't it..................... :-)

Pevers
Back to Top View peversFJR's Profile Search for other posts by peversFJR

Guests
Guest Group
Guest Group

Online Status: Online
Posted: 19 April 2009 at 2:56pm | IP Logged Quote Guests

Well done Pevers - a good ride, welcome to the madness!
Back to Top View Guests's Profile Search for other posts by Guests

john coz
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 19 April 2009 at 4:19pm | IP Logged Quote john coz

Good ride Pevers, as Grim says the madness is addictive, well done, see you at Squires, that`ll be a great weekend.

Back to Top View john coz's Profile Search for other posts by john coz

James691
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 19 April 2009 at 11:29pm | IP Logged Quote James691

Good effort and great report :)

Feel welcome to endurance and get used to the odd looks on peoples faces when you speak of your adventures.

James691

SS1600K
BB2500k GOLD
4 Corners UK GOLD
UK Mileater

www.motorcycleexplorermag.com

I ride, the rest is simply details.

Back to Top View James691's Profile Search for other posts by James691 Visit James691's Homepage

GarminDave
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:49am | IP Logged Quote GarminDave

Great report Pevers and welcome to insanity,

Later

Dave

David E.Badcock #18643
IBA UK Merchandise
eMail: DavidEBadcock@aol.com
Internet: www.davidbadcock.co.uk
Twitter: @GarminDave
Back to Top View GarminDave's Profile Search for other posts by GarminDave Visit GarminDave's Homepage

peversFJR
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 1:28pm | IP Logged Quote peversFJR

Gentlemen - thank you for your kind words and warm welcome. Looking forward to meeting some of you in June.
Smooth sailing
Pevers

David Pevalin IBA #40019 FarRider #333
UK Mileater;E2E;SS1000;SS1600km;BB1500;SS2000;UK4Corners;50CC
RBLR1000 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

FazerPhil
Admin Group
Admin Group
President IBAUK

Posted: 20 April 2009 at 2:28pm | IP Logged Quote FazerPhil

Well done Pevers your trapped into the madness now

14th place in IBR13
43rd place in IBR11
6th place Eurotour 2014

www.ironbutt.co.uk
Twitter: @IBA_UK @Fazerphil_IBAUK
Back to Top View FazerPhil's Profile Search for other posts by FazerPhil Visit FazerPhil's Homepage

peversFJR
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote peversFJR

Woo, woo!

All certified at 1030 miles

Now just need to figure out where to sew the patch when it arrives......

David Pevalin IBA #40019 FarRider #333
UK Mileater;E2E;SS1000;SS1600km;BB1500;SS2000;UK4Corners;50CC
RBLR1000 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

bosshog
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 21 May 2009 at 11:32am | IP Logged Quote bosshog

James691 wrote:

get used to the odd looks on peoples faces when you speak of your adventures.

James691

or when you say you know James  

Rocket-UK
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 21 May 2009 at 1:42pm | IP Logged Quote Rocket-UK

peversFJR wrote:
Woo, woo!

All certified at 1030 miles

Now just need to figure out where to sew the patch when it arrives......

Congrats Dave.....That was a good ride, and the map you sent in was something else.....

Pete West IBA#35252

Back to Top View Rocket-UK's Profile Search for other posts by Rocket-UK

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version