Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
IBA UK
 Iron Butt.org General Discussion : IBA UK
Subject Topic: SS2000 (now verified!!!!) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
bosshog
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 13 September 2009 at 10:22am | IP Logged Quote bosshog

Mondeo, Mondeo, even a Triumph would be better than a Mondeo

peversFJR
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 5:48pm | IP Logged Quote peversFJR

I'm home. Safe. 0130. Knackered but got done what I had hoped to. Thoughts of turning it into a SS3000 left me on the way to Dover. Bed. Will write later.

David Pevalin IBA #40019 FarRider #333
UK Mileater;E2E;SS1000;SS1600km;BB1500;SS2000;UK4Corners;50CC
RBLR1000 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Back to Top View peversFJR's Profile Search for other posts by peversFJR

Johnscaff
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 13 September 2009 at 11:12pm | IP Logged Quote Johnscaff

Well done Dave

Glad to hear that you completed your Ride & got home safely

looking forward to reading all about it.

kevinw
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 12:45am | IP Logged Quote kevinw

Well done Dave, it's a long way isn't it.

Thanks for the updates Denise.

Kevin

http://thewellers.us/
Back to Top View kevinw's Profile Search for other posts by kevinw Visit kevinw's Homepage

peversFJR
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 5:34am | IP Logged Quote peversFJR

Thank you for all your encouragement. Denise relayed them to me by text.

It was a long day yesterday. It wasn't helped by not getting as far as I wanted on Saturday but there weren't any hotels that could be found online near Berwick.

The early start on Saturday meant a long punt was possible before the rest of the world started to wake up. Stopped for petrol at Blyth services (A1) and Birch services (M62) and a small detour to help a guy with an old Blade who had run out of petrol (banking the good biking karma!). I crossed the border at about 9am and got stuck into breakfast at the services just north of Lockerbie.

Much to my shame I have to admit to 30 years of biking and not actually getting north of Edinburgh on a bike. So, the route up through Glen Coe, Fort William, Inverness and Wick was all new to me. What a run - very little traffic especially on the Loch Ness part. And those Scottish road engineers know how to build nice constant radius bends with loads of shellgrip.

The weather held although it did rain a bit (little bit for Scotland!) around Wick but, jesus, was it windy up there. The A9 past Avimore and Perth was after sunset so I was keeping a particular close watch for any homicidal bambis.

Early Sunday crack on south. Just how many more speed cameras do they want to put on the A1 north of Newcastle. The proximity alert in the sat nav was going off so often that I could hardly hear my music. Decided a full breakfast was on the cards and arriving near M1/M62 at 9am meant Squire's was open and a quick detour there in time to see the local classic bike rally setting off. Kick starts, bump starts and very few baffles. Great!

Back on the road to head west then south. M62/M6/M5 usual drudgery apart from being treated to a fly past by the Red Arrows near Bristol. At least I didn't get the miles of shed-draggers that we had for the RBLR1000. Turned round to head east at Redruth. Stopped for another detour to help a guy with a flat (more good karma!). Straight forward run along the south coast, M3, M25, M20, about face at Dover and home.

Strange not to go to JOG and LE? I'm saving them for my E2E runs next year with my sons. The youngest has got a taste for a longer run after the BBL. He just likes the certificates really!

The bike, as always, was immense. It didn't go unnoticed that all of the FJRs finished the IBR. I now need my third set of tyres! The Roadsmarts have lasted 9,000 miles which included a track day at Cadwell so I think I'll have another pair of those please. The bike has now done nearly 16,000 miles since January. I was chatting to a guy on one who was doing the Scottish Rally and he said it only really loosens up at 35,000 miles! He had an 06 model from new!

The Corbin seat is a definite improvement on the OEM one - for my 18 stone behind anyway! Now I just need to sort out my underwear - seriously! It's only these trips that you really get to notice the small niggles. Some LD underwear is going on my Xmas list. Also, a throttlemister or something for a cruise control. The arthritis in my right hand fingers is getting worse - no trouble usually but these trips are tough on it (ready for the tired right hand jokes!) - so I'll be looking at something soon.

Very happy to have done the run. If you haven't been to Scotland, then go! Fingers crossed (at least on my left hand!) that the paperwork is OK. I have noticed that I only stopped as many times on this trip as I did on my first SS1000 - hopefully that means that I'm going longer between stops and they are more efficient time-wise.

I'm planning two continent crossings next year (USA and Australia) which are both in the 2,400 mile range so this has given me many more insights into what it will take than my previous IBA runs.

My friend Dan died from cancer of the tongue a couple of weeks ago after a year long battle. He wasn't a smoker or a drinker. Neither was he a biker, but he was always interested in his slightly strange friend with a big bike and a penchant for a long trip. His vicarious enjoyment of my exploits while in hospice at least brought him a taste for the outside world and to momentarily escape from his surroundings in his head. 49 is no age and his wife and two daughters (11 and 7) are in my thoughts. This ride is dedicated to Dan. Rest in peace, mate.

David Pevalin IBA #40019 FarRider #333
UK Mileater;E2E;SS1000;SS1600km;BB1500;SS2000;UK4Corners;50CC
RBLR1000 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
Back to Top View peversFJR's Profile Search for other posts by peversFJR

James691
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 5:57am | IP Logged Quote James691

Well done Dave and great report 

It does get windy up there and Scottoiler do a band grip for a thumb rest on the throttle for just a 5 mate. I was very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Stay safe

James691

Edited by James691 on 14 September 2009 at 6:00am

SS1600K
BB2500k GOLD
4 Corners UK GOLD
UK Mileater

www.motorcycleexplorermag.com

I ride, the rest is simply details.

Back to Top View James691's Profile Search for other posts by James691 Visit James691's Homepage

bosshog
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 6:12am | IP Logged Quote bosshog

peversFJR wrote:

apart from being treated to a fly past by the Red Arrows near Bristol.

They made it then, they were a little unsure cos of low cloud but decied to do it for you in the end

Belizibub
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 6:32am | IP Logged Quote Belizibub

Well done on the achievement Dave. 

Roland IBA #40115

Got a question?
Back to Top View Belizibub's Profile Search for other posts by Belizibub Visit Belizibub's Homepage

Bazzer
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 6:47am | IP Logged Quote Bazzer

Well done Dave

Rider of by far the best marque of motorcycle.
Winner of the youngest looking male BBR competitor award 2008,2009,2010 and 2011.
2nd place in the longest stuck record awards 2011/12
Back to Top View Bazzer's Profile Search for other posts by Bazzer

GarminDave
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 14 September 2009 at 6:53am | IP Logged Quote GarminDave

Well done Dave, congratulations on an Extreme IBA ride.

Later

Dave

David E.Badcock #18643
IBA UK Merchandise
eMail: DavidEBadcock@aol.com
Internet: www.davidbadcock.co.uk
Twitter: @GarminDave
Back to Top View GarminDave's Profile Search for other posts by GarminDave Visit GarminDave's Homepage

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version