Active TopicsActive Topics  Display List of Forum MembersMemberlist  Search The ForumSearch  HelpHelp
  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin
IBA UK
 Iron Butt.org General Discussion : IBA UK
Subject Topic: Brit Butt Rally 2014 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
The Colonel
Future IBA Member?!
Future IBA Member?!

Online Status: Offline
Posted: 26 May 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged Quote The Colonel

It was only a matter of time before J.Y. fulfilled his dream of winning, it just needed the correct tool for the job . Many congratulations John your the man.

Every journey by car is time taken from your life, every journey by bike is an experience added.

Ken.T
Back to Top View The Colonel's Profile Search for other posts by The Colonel

Panman
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 12:38am | IP Logged Quote Panman

I would also like to express my congratulations to John and also
massive thanks to the rally team for organising my best biking
experience to date.

I will definitely be back next year and can't wait for the Brit Butt Lite in
July, new tyres though as puncture repairs at the side of the road are
not good for keeping to your rally plan!

Alan
Back to Top View Panman's Profile Search for other posts by Panman

Pyranthal
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged Quote Pyranthal

I'd also like to add my congratulations to John for winning, and to all of the rally team for putting on another great rally.

Unusual theme this year and amazing how you could still recongnise the majority of the places today....now I just need to work on my planning skills for next year.

IBA NO 57758
BBR2012,2013,2014,2015
SS1000
Back to Top View Pyranthal's Profile Search for other posts by Pyranthal Visit Pyranthal's Homepage

orestesdjc
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 4:11am | IP Logged Quote orestesdjc

Panman wrote:

[new tyres though as puncture repairs at the side of the road are
not good for keeping to your rally plan!]

Alan

I've had a puncture within 2 miles of having a new tyre fitted. A flat (in a tubeless tyre) takes less time to repair than a long walk and climb to a bonus!  I estimate about 40 minutes lost on that. It was a bit disappointing to find at the scoring table to find that a picture taken from a distance was acceptable, contrary to the rally book and rally-master's briefing. Next time I shall phone in for a ruling, and make a note of it.

Overall a great was had and I too add my thanks to Phil, Chris, Bev and the rest of the team for all the sage advice offered to a rookie.

I had a plan, rode it and it worked and I am very happy. Now I'm taking time to analyse the book and have already found an additional 2530 points (41 & 52) with just two small changes to my route and a additional 40 miles. Still wouldn't have made the top rookie spot though but may have made it in to the top ten.

Edited by orestesdjc on 27 May 2014 at 4:20am

Dave Clarke #30479
Chatham UK
Isle of Man TT1000, Iceland Fire & Ice 1000 and Sicily Godfather 1000.
Back to Top View orestesdjc's Profile Search for other posts by orestesdjc

LeoDavid
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 4:19am | IP Logged Quote LeoDavid

Well rally team you have done it again

What a fantastic rally massive thank you to Chris and Bev for coming up with such an excellent rally. It really was something completely
different and great fun. Thank you Phil for your inspiration as always and a big thanks to the rest of the rally team.

John I am so pleased for you, a huge well done

It was great to catch up with you all and meet lots of new faces, I hope those of you who did it for the first time this year enjoyed it and see
you back next year.

"And now for something completely different" it certainly was. 10 PM Saturday night last year I was riding down a dirt track towards Altnabreac
Station in the far north of Scotland in the middle of now where. 10 PM Saturday night this year I was riding through Piccadilly circus.

It was funny whilst out on the rally I was wondering how I will cope on the 5 day IBA Euro tour, now I back I can't wait, roll on September.

FJRPilot
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

SMIDSY

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 5:39am | IP Logged Quote FJRPilot

Seeing the rally from the Team side this year and not from the riding side certainly helped to explain the ideas and reasoning for certain locations, and the mindset used to choose the overall theme.

I'm sure it can only help me to become a more rounded competitor in the future, after all look at Ledwardio - forced to help out last year, and 3rd place in his first rally.

Sitting back at base and observing some riders' Spot routes certainly helps to see what can be achieved with some good riding and a strong right wrist

Congratulations to ALL riders as you came back safely!  It can be so easy to get disheartened when you're cold and wet through. The key to being comfortable is plan for the worst weather but hope for the best (extra gloves, oversuit etc).

Traditionally since my first rally in 2010 it has always alternated between hot/sunny, then cold/wet.  So 2015 should be a nice dry and sunny weekend. 

Let's just hope the Rallymaster is kind to us and doesn't have us doing too many silly things.  I can handle silly walks and a kazoo for 2000 points though

Mark, Norwich - IBA #40047
BMW R1200GSA
2016 Iceni Rally Master
Back to Top View FJRPilot's Profile Search for other posts by FJRPilot

LeoDavid
IBA Member
IBA Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 5:58am | IP Logged Quote LeoDavid

FJRPilot wrote:
. Traditionally since my first rally in 2010 it has always alternated between hot/sunny,
then cold/wet.  So 2015 should be a nice dry and sunny weekend. 

Mark don't forget though if they move the rally weekend so its not on the bank hol we will end up with it
being crap again

ledwardio
Future IBA Member?!
Future IBA Member?!

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 6:35am | IP Logged Quote ledwardio

FJRPilot wrote:
after all look at Ledwardio - forced to help out last
year, and 3rd place in his first rally.

It certainly helped seeing where people were (sadly) losing points last
year, typically down to missed details in what needs to be in the picture,
or when it needs to be taken. Fuel log errors were common too.

It didn't help with the Friday night planning panic or the disorganised
chaos when reaching the bonus locations - I refined the process as I went
on though, it definitely helps to have a bit of a production line happening
when you stop.

It's easy in hindsight to look at the route and see missed opportunities for
extra points, if I'd had a study of the map at my rest stop instead of
emptying my tank bag on the car park floor (not on purpose of course) I
could have been another step up the podium, but I've no regrets - 3rd
was a mega-bonus result, next year though...

Oh, my take on White Nancy was that I'd rather risk not getting the points
at the scoring table than get hot and bothered and waste time climbing a
hill.

Here's a link to my route if anyones interested (sorry its a bit big, my eyes
are still bloodshot ):

A new Rallymaster next year could shake things up perhaps?

Cheers

L

Edited by ledwardio on 27 May 2014 at 6:40am

IBA 59974
Back to Top View ledwardio's Profile Search for other posts by ledwardio Visit ledwardio's Homepage

orestesdjc
IBA Premier Member
IBA Premier Member

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 9:41am | IP Logged Quote orestesdjc

Just trying to learn from my mistakes in preparation for next year.

As a rookie I set myself very limited targets. It seemed that 30000 points should get me a finish in the middle of the pack.

I know I can maintain a avg speed of 45 mph (my actual avg over 1293.5 miles taking a 5 1/2 hour break worked out at 44.45) through practise runs using Round Britain Rally landmarks but I was unsure of how much rest I would require so I decided I would take 5 hours which set my mileage at 1350. Once I had a route of that length and point tally I stopped planning and went to bed but was unable to sleep. Perhaps I should have gone back after a 30 min. break to take another look. I think just a short look then would allowed a few tweaks and it would not have affected my sleep as things were going around my head for a couple of hours anyway.

I also realised as the rally progressed that I needed to shorten my turnaround time at bonuses. I was averaging 10 mins, if I can reduce that by 2 or 3 it might allow another bonus or two.

Don't be afraid of phoning the RM if unsure about the requirements at a bonus.

I'm sure I'll think of others over the next weeks, hopefully in time for the Euro Tour.

Over the winter I'll try out EZ-Type/Bake and RLPTLite.

Edited by orestesdjc on 27 May 2014 at 9:50am

Dave Clarke #30479
Chatham UK
Isle of Man TT1000, Iceland Fire & Ice 1000 and Sicily Godfather 1000.
Back to Top View orestesdjc's Profile Search for other posts by orestesdjc

John Young
IBR Finisher
IBR Finisher

Posted: 27 May 2014 at 10:44am | IP Logged Quote John Young

This is actually Pete Churchill's Report but he's not very computer literate.  So he asked me to post it for him - Oh the irony !!

The phrase of "the blind leading the blind" springs to mind

Anyway, here's his report and he's entitled it -

Unfortunately I get his pictures to load properly - sorry !! Sorted by FazerPHil

"The Report of Twatface - the Rookie"

Brit Butt 2014
I set out on Friday with some trepidation as to what lay ahead, despite my preparations and excellent coaching by John Young, I still knew that to finish would be tough. I tapped in to the satnav the co-ordinates for Castleford and laughed when as usual it wanted me to go due North via Shepton Mallett to get to Bristol. Ha! You must realise by now that the quickest route is via junction 23 on the M5 you stoopid satnav! Maybe the satnav knew better than me because the M5 was a carpark, so was the M42 and the M1, so I arrived 1 1/2hrs later than my plan; which set the pattern for the weekend. Once checking in and signing in for the rally, I discovered the first snag. I had read that the bonus locations would be downloaded into the satnavs; what I should have read was that they would be on a memory stick which I should have provided. Okay, I wasn’t alone here and Phil helped us out by doing the download for us and once again John Young helped me out by lending me his memory stick for my laptop. So first hurdle crossed.Next to the route planning; I had a plan to go to Scotland before the event because I love it and to avoid wet weather because I don’t love that. The weather forecast was best for Scotland, so my plan came together; a conservative route with a planned rest break in Fort William at midnight, (I know Fort William well, so it was my Scottish comfort blanket!). The idea being that I could extend my route at this break if everything was going to plan. Ha! The next morning, I lined up for the start with a new friend (you make plenty of those in this club) and fitted my satnav, only to discover that overnight ALL my bonus locations had disappeared! sh*t! Steve offered to go around with him, which was very kind but I really wanted to do this myself, so settled down to the fact that I would have to manually enter the next location at each stop; in fact this system worked very well and I may well use this method again.Anyway, off we went for a damp ride to Middlesborough, having ignored the tempting 2000 pointer just down the road, I had decided that I could pick that up at the end on Sunday to avoid the inevitable queues as everyone would be down there. A bad decision in hindsight and my first lesson in taking the ‘bird in hand’ option. I arrived in Middlesborough 5 minutes behind schedule already, according to the satnav?

And just after I had taken my photo John Young arrived having already bagged the 2000 pointer, so 2000 point behind after my first bonus!!
So back to the plan; I travelled oop North picking up bonus points in Newcastle and Edinburgh.By the way! North South divide? Yes, their roads are fantastic and the investment enormous. Nothing wrong with Middlesborough that a good scrub up wouldn’t cure! What ever happened to civic pride? Rant over. At about this point, I decided a quick pit stop for a coffee would be a good idea. Glad I did because when I stopped, I was surrounded by smoke and a dreadful stink of burning coming from my right hand pannier, only to discover that it had become a built in kipper smoker! The silencer bracket had broken and allowed the silencer to rest against the pannier back and melt it’s way through, taking out my spare gloves in the process. A quick re-arrangement of the contents and a piece of Scots pine to act as a packer between the silencer and the pannier and I was on my way again.By the time I had left Edinburgh I knew the time was slipping away badly; must carve the traffic up more and push on. Then I came across my first Big Grin of the day; the A93 through the Cairngorms is one of Scotland’s finest! My spirits had been low with time ebbing away so quickly but got fully recharged with this stunning ride. Well worth the effort for this alone.
I pushed on as rapidly as I could, then realised that I may have another problem. Scotland was shut and in the next hundred miles I needed petrol! Satnav was an enormous help here and I used the ‘find fuel’ facility to good effect to get a top-up, at the same time resolving to carry on with the ‘bird in the hand’ theory mentioned earlier and get top ups when I found anywhere open. Further up the road I needed to find a large lump of rock on Culloden moor.What a god forsaken place to have a battle! Anyway, there I was with my photo, tapping in the next set of co-ordinates (a system that was working very well by now) When I heard a voice saying ‘what you doing here?’ Being a battle site where thousands died and dusk coming, needless to say I jumped clean out of my skin! Voice came for a very pissed Scotsman who had appeared from nowhere; it transpired that behind the screen of trees was a caravan park with a pub and he had been in it all day! It turned out that he was a very nice chap who seemed to understand what I was about (because he was drunk?) and when I said I was worried about picking up my next bonus in daylight, he correctly told me it was just around the corner and I would be there in half an hour. He was dead right and am very grateful to him as well because I had been considering dropping it in favour of picking up some time instead.
I then pushed on for Skye, satnav had shown the bonus just off the bridge, so it should be a doddle. The wise words of John Young should have been ringing loudly in my ears at this point, well actually the night before when I was route planning. I got to a roundabout that showed Fort William or Skye and even though I was now on half a tank again, I headed for Skye for 1750 bonus points, figuring that as the bonus was ‘just off the bridge’, I would have enough fuel to get me to the 24hr station in Fort William later. Well the IBA Gods were with me here because when I got onto the island, I found a fuel station open! Sticking with my ‘bird in hand’ practise I topped up and headed off just down the road. ‘Just down the road’ was actually 30 odd miles of very narrow track covered in sheep, warming up on the tarmac! I got to the bonus in the pitch black at midnight and have to confess that I was a little bit desperate here as it was virtually impossible to get the required photo in the dark and then the IBA Gods smiled on me again. Unbelievably, another voice came out of the dark asking what I was up to? This voice came from a fisherman’s wife who had just launched her husband, or rather his boat and was on her way home. She then had the bright idea of lighting up with building (a school house) with the headlights of her 4x4, the following was the result and believe me when this was accepted by the scorers I could have kissed them!

I hadn’t listened to a word JY has said about not getting into the middle of nowhere at midnight and could have kicked myself, only by extreme good fortune and the IBA God’s intervention had I got away with it.
The ride to Fort William was long and slow, I still don’t know whether I would have made it without the top-up on Skye but with the long trek to the bonus, rather than ‘just off the bridge’ I somehow doubt it. In the 90 odd miles I only saw three cars as well so I would probably have been in the poo. Fort William was then a very welcome sight but my planned rest spot of a nice and warm boiler room at the back of the Milton Hotel (we used to use it for drying wet riding gear when marshalling for the Scottish Six Day Trial) was scuppered because somebody had done the bloody place up and re-named it the Ben Nevis hotel AND put a lock on the boiler room! Coupled with this and the fact that I had triggered every security light in the place, I went back to the 24hr station and kipped on the picnic table beside, this I later discovered was not an unusual occurrence and the 24hr garage and it’s table are well known to Iron Butters! Anyway, I had a kip, woke at 5:20am feeling like sh*t and was being eaten by midges too but after a coffee, I set off after my 3hr compulsory break at 6:00am.
The aforementioned table with Ben Nevis in the background, oh and a Distillery!
Within the hour I was having another ‘Big Grin’ as I entered Glencoe and squandered more time by stopping for a photo opportunity (don’t read this bit John!). I make no apology here, I love the Highlands and have always loved riding through Glencoe, although up to now have only done it on a trials or trail bike but I had marshalled for the SSDT for 17years and the place still takes my breath away. The thought of a return visit also seriously affected my choice of route on the Brit Butt and the Rally Organisers should always make it worthwhile for riders to take these options.[
After Glencoe I headed south for a trip up Rest and be Thankful, another ‘Big Grin’ moment and down into Dunoon for a ferry trip to Greenock and off to Cumbria. On the ferry, it gave me an opportunity to take stock, so I tapped the final stop into the satnav and realised that I was actually on target after all?! Given time to think, I worked out that I hadn’t allowed any stop time at the bonuses and they were taking at least 5 mins each on average. Damnit! Another thing that JY had warned me about but I had ignored! It did cheer me up a treat though and I included it on my routine from then on to keep an eye on progress.
I looked ahead going south and saw sunshine and thought, this is going to turn out okay after all; no sooner had I thought that when a huge black cloud appeared and proceeded to empty out hail and rain on top of me, shan’t have thoughts like that again! I arrived at the first bonus in Cumbria in brilliant sunshine however and must have looked a sight in my Mole Valley Farmers waterproofs but hey, no time to take them off now and wasn’t I glad I didn’t later.

The only other problem with sunshine on a Bank Holiday is the obvious one, it brings out the Emits! They were everywhere! I’m sure JY had warned me about that as well but did I listen? Did I heck! Suffice to say, they slowed me down somewhat and I even got held up in some parade behind a horse and cart and a vintage tractor only to miss my Windermere ferry trip! Aargh! Quick check of my final arrival time showed that I could get back by 4pm (to the 2000 pointer I should have bagged first thing yesterday) so I about turned and headed back into the Emits, only to watch my arrival time slip away rapidly. Satnav had thrown a complete headfit by now and would not accept my new course so I reverted to old fashioned map reading and got out to the M6 with my final arrival time now 4:45! (and this bonus closed at 4:45) Still do-able but tight with an hour to go.
I took off down the M6 and started to make good progress but very soon realised that another fuel stop would be needed, so did that as quick as possible with the turnaround being two minutes now, including doing the writing up in my fuel log but more of that later. The problem was again that time was slipping by and time of arrival had somehow gone up to 4:50?! I was screwed for the last bonus if that was right. Something close to panic set in and I had to really start making very reasonable progress to have any chance of a finish with those damn 2000 points, only to be confronted with some of the worst rain I have ever been through, it was coming down in sheets and for most of the way along the M62, I couldn’t actually see the tarmac, just a river across the motorway but the time of arrival was falling, little by little it crept down and with a few miles to go it got back to 4:45, I might just wing this. Anyway I did clock into the 2000 pointer at 4:43pm, the last man in, only to have to play ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ on my kazoo! Did I mention the kazoo? The rally organisers have a very strange sense of humour and in the rally instructions we had to carry a kazoo at all times (E-bay sales of kazoos must have shot up!). By this time I would have done virtually anything for 2000 points so it really was not that bad.
I then rode the few miles back to the finish and signed in with a couple of minutes to spare 1276.9 miles and 36 hours after I had left.
Life does have a habit of trying to wipe the smile off your face though despite what you do to put one on it and the Hotel staff were waiting with a beauty of a smile wiper; they had messed up my booking and the Hotel was full!! Even though I had done the bookings in November and a girl had phoned last week to confirm them, actually she had shown 2 Pete Churchills for the Friday night but I assured her there was only 1, the Saturday booking was for March 25th not May 25th?! And to make it worse they tried to blame me! I said why the hell would I book a Friday in May followed by a Saturday in March for the same event as the other 60 odd members of the IBA doing the same thing! What made it worse was that they really didn’t seem to care, so it was only because I was totally knackered that I didn’t do some damage and end up in a Police cell for the night.Anyway the IBA God’s smiled once more and Fazer Phil found a ‘spare’ room (Thanks Coxy - ED)that was to have been occupied by a chap who couldn’t make it, so off I toddled for a nice hot shower before scoring but the water was cold! Aargh!
Off to scoring then, a bit late by now and I discovered that my meticulous recording of my fuel log was wrong! I should have recorded the time on the receipt which was the actual time of purchase rather that the minute later when I was beside my bike and looking at the bike clock. My mistake, I know the rules, John Young had coached me, no excuse, just take it on the chin, minus 5000 points. The IBA God’s giveth and they also take awayeth!
All the photos came good though, even my dodgy midnight visit to Skye. I can’t thank that Lady enough and have no way of letting here know that it all worked out okay…….unless I go there next year too! Pete (no longer a Rookie) Churchill
As something of a postscript, my satnav then tried to navigate me back to Dorset via the M40 for London but by now I was totally ignoring it and will phone Garmin in the morning.

Photos added FazerPhil

Edited by FazerPhil on 29 May 2014 at 2:57pm

The Likeable Loony !!

Triumph Trident T150 - IBR & BBR finisher

Equal rights for Easy Riders !

R.I.P Jovi. 17.06.14 I'll miss you xx

IBA 458
Back to Top View John Young's Profile Search for other posts by John Young

<< Prev Page of 33 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version